cacaoweb.org
October 19, 2017, 03:26:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: [NEW] Feature Requests & General Usability  (Read 23346 times)
p3drosola

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:10:40 am »

Hi guys, good news! Cacaoweb is gonna be even more awesome! Why? Cause you get to make it!
I'm gonna be working on making cacaoweb more user friendly and intuitive, so if you have any ideas or feature requests post them below.
alfred
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 02:23:45 am »

for those who have coding skills in html, css, javascript, you have the interface source code of cacaoweb at https://github.com/cacaoweb/cacaowebinterface
Don't hesitate to participate on the github wiki as well
Syntax

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 04:59:54 am »

Smiley very nice, Keep it up
Syntax

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:51:48 am »

Really good idea, I like that.

Maybe add a "Exit" function too Smiley
alfred
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:06:31 am »

no sorry, impossible to add an icon in the system tray because it would allow the user to easily stop cacaoweb and stop sharing bandwidth! (remember most users are leech and would do anything to avoid sharing)
alfred
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 02:53:45 am »

how would people be interested in launching cacaoweb without interface?  Huh
p3drosola

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »

I'm not sure about the best way to do it, but it think it would be good to have some indicator to see if cacaoweb is running.
p3drosola

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:39:17 pm »

Administrator: do you have a list of the features you're planning on implementing in the new admin page?

I can start doing some mockups of the admin page if you have that.
p3drosola

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:10 pm »

Yeah, i'm sure more people would upload videos if it was really easy.
alfred
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »

I'm not sure about the best way to do it, but it think it would be good to have some indicator to see if cacaoweb is running.

which use use case are you referring to? do you mean an indicator like in the traybar or in the cacaoweb interface?
alfred
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:21 pm »

Yeah, i'm sure more people would upload videos if it was really easy.

actually quite a lot of people were uploading videos already because it was really easy, you just had to click on choose and the video started to upload. (this is still the case in the latest versions of cacaoweb though slightly different)
The main issue with cacaoweb hosting service compared to other platforms like megavideo or videobb is that uploaders cannot make money off it, and uploaders only upload if they can make money. This issue is in the process of being addressed, i'm thinking about some kind of pay-per-download system so they can make money off cacaoweb. As you can see in the latest version, an upload manager is on the go and this will allow uploaders to manage their money, which is the only thing they care about. The upload manager already works well but more work is to be done on the usability and design. please refer to github, the latest code is over there, and don't hesitate to give your opinion/ideas.
p3drosola

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 05:23:53 am »

ok, so i did some mockups. They're not as geeky as the current design, so hopefully they'll appeal to a broader audience.

- dedicated startpage : with a big search box. We could use this page to help user's get to know cacaoweb, promote uploading, show featured videos or stuff like that.

- search page : with category filtering (these are the categories a user chooses when they upload a video)

- watch page : also has a mini-search on the side. It hold the contents of the search that brought you to that video. So if you're watching a series, it might have other videos of the same series. This area should be collapsible.

Some other ideas:
- make some sort of "watched this" checkbox. So i can see which videos i've already watched in a search results list.
- bookmarked searches
- some kind of a media library. Or like the iTunes store.
- video thumbnails in the search results

Opinions?
Syntax

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 07:51:37 am »

Looks very good, but the mini search window on the left is not good, I think it's better on the right side, but its my opinion..
alfred
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 08:28:25 am »

it's true, now that you say it the previous design looks a bit geeky.

This one looks good as well so I won't comment, looks like you have taken some inspiration from what Google does, I think it's good to do that, even though some time it can be a bit like "cargo cult" to copy them. Also remember that their home page needs to be neat and clean to make the page display latency as low as possible. We don't have that problem in cacaoweb, since all the material comes from the localhost. We can put more stuff on it, and also we can make heavy use of Javascript.

I'm going to write something a bit more consequent on the github project's wiki to tell about all the functionnalities that I would also like to integrate in the short term, among them:
- some kind of a media library. Or like the iTunes store.
- video thumbnails in the search results
- suggestions of videos
- music player
- pay per view/download
etc.
I will do that tomorrow, it is much needed!

However let me comment about the usability of your mockups.
- main page: facebook reference can safely be removed. The rest is perfect as it is.
- search results page: thinking about a use case, is the categories filtering necessary? What I would like to do is to show a "did you mean?"-like suggestion on top of the results if there is an ambiguity, like if a show has the same name as a movie.
I also dislike the blue links, like the "download" or "show link". The large majority of users does not understand the meaning of "download", hence one of the reason why they use cacaoweb. It's not straightforward enough if the user needs to find the "watch" link. The user is already exhausted because he already had to type manually the name of his favorite tv show in the search box. I think we need to remove these links and keep it like it was before (only the style changes).
- play video page: related videos would be better on the right I guess to do like Youtube. We have to incorporate thumbnails as well when it makes sense for the user.

Before you make any update of these mockups, please wait until I finish writing on the wiki on github, I will provide all information about the new features that are planned to find their way in the next version of cacaoweb. I will do that tomorrow.

There are more and more videos hosted on the cacaoweb network, so i think a good update is well deserved!
p3drosola

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:32:56 am »

yes the homepage & search pages are definitely google styled. I think they'll go finding their identity as we go adding some of these other features we talked about. That will help differentiate it i think.

If you think the video thumbnails will happen in the near future i can integrate that into the mockup.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: